Annoying German new wave singer Hubert Kah features on the cover of Bravo of 12 August 1982. That week 35 years ago Germany’s youth read about:
• Footballers Toni Schumacher, the villain, and Pierrre Litbarski, the “sunnyboy”
• Your rights: May your parents throw you out?
• Asia in concert in Philadelphia
• New tennis hero Mats Wilander
• Nina Hagen’s new image (all new wave and Christian)
• A visit to Olivia Newton-John
Bravo Girl of the Year 1975 Christiane Gött features on the cover of Bravo of 31 July 1975. That week 42 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Sweet answer readers’ letters on a visit to the Bravo offices
• TV bosses want to cancel the Pop 75 music show
• Bay City Rollers drummer Derek Longmuir profiled
• David Cassidy and his pets (three dogs and a cat)
• Simon Williams, “The rebel of Eaton Place”, of British TV series Upstairs Downstairs
And here’s the kicker: on one spread, the left-hand page is a feature on the film Towering Inferno; on the right is an article on Austrian F1 racing champion Niki Lauda — who almost exactly a year later would be badly burnt in a crash at Germany’s Nürburgring. On one of the photos Lauda is seen with flame-retardant protective underwear (it makes him sweat).
James Dean features on the cover of Bravo of 24 July 1980. That week 37 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Cheryl Ladd, “the most beautiful of Charlie’s Angels”
• Andy Gibb and Olivia Newton-John: the “new dream duo”
• The non-romantic life of actor Dirk Benedict
• Can Spanish teen idol Pedro Marin break through in Germany? (No)
• James Dean and his movie Giants.
• Roller-skating tricks
• Introducing ska band The Specials
Amanda Lear features on the cover of Bravo of 13 July 1978. That week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Bob Dylan’s mega concert in Nuremburg. Closing number: “Forever Young”
• Amanda Lear’s show at the “Bravo Disco” concert in Dortmund
• ABBA reveal 10 “secrets”
• The highlights of Sweet’s 10-year career
• How The Beatles filmed their movies
• Jethro Tull in concert
• Introducing Plastic Bertrand
• Seven new music-films: F.M., The Wiz, Hair, Thank God It’s Friday, Sgt Pepper’s, Hanging On A Star, and The Buddy Holly Story
Mick Jagger on the cover of Bravo of 12 July 1972.
German new wave band Extrabreit feature on the very 1980s cover of Bravo of 8 July 1982. That week 35 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• “Rock grandpas” ZZ Top and Status Quo on German TV
• What’s going to happen ext in Dallas.
• The showmanship of Mick Jagger
• West-Germany’s theme parks
• Are D.A.F. really splitting up?
Shaun Cassidy features on the cover of Bravo of 29 June 1978. That week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• The life of Bob Dylan, presently on a tour of West-Germany
• John Travolta: Lonely and mourning the death of his great love, Diana Hyland
• Van Halen, the rock sensation from the USA
• How Elvis became the Kind of Rock & Roll
• A teenage girl talks about her rape (with good advice added)
• Reader Gabi Bruns’ trip to Hawaii to present Shaun Cassidy with Bravo’s Otto award
• The career of the Rolling Stones in pictures
• Bravo readers elect the Moped of the Year 1978. The winner: Hercules G3
Three “hot rock aunties” feature on the cover of Bravo of 21 June 1979: Leslie Knauer of Promises, Debbie Harry of Blondie, and Marion Valentino of The Dolls
This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Rock’s hottest women at as glance. Besides the three on the cover, they were Stevie Nicks, Siouxie Sioux, Alice Spring of Darling, Yvonne Lory of disco group Ganymed, Pauline Murray of Penetration, and Rita Ray of Darts.
• “Brown Pearl” (really!) Amii Stewart and her hit “Knock On Wood”
• Mick Jagger in pics
• How an abused teen landed on the street
• Disco singer Patrick Hernandez at home in Paris
• Funk-rock band Mother’s Finest
• When will Starsky & Hutch return to German TV screens?
Singer and actor Rex Gildo features, not for the only time, on the cover of Bravo of 23 June 1969.
Future Schlager star Ingrid Peters on a motorcycle on the cover of Bravo of 16 June 1976. That week 41 years ago Germany’s youth read about:
• The false rumours of ABBA’s lethal plane crash
• Jethro Tull and Smokie on their Germany tours
• How Status Quo got into a fist-fight with Austrian airport security
• Profile of teenage actress Jodie Foster
• Bay City Rollers strike back at Sweet’s critique of them
• Actor Barry Newman (Petrocelli) at home
• A meeting with Yes keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman
• How disco-trio Silver Convention improved their stage show
• Ron Wood: How he rocks and loves