John Travolta features on the cover of Bravo of 23 May 1979. That week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Interview with Blondie’s Debbie Harry and guitarist Chris Stein
• John Travolta’s show Welcome Back, Kotter finally to come to German TV
• The highlights of Kate Bush’s new concert show
• Amanda Lear’s wars with the press
• Focus on Kate Jackson of Charlie’s Angels
• British band Sniff’n’ the Tears
• The new ’50s revival comedy movie Eis am Stiel (Lemon Popsicle in the US)
• Rock singer Udo Lindenberg in pics with autograph card
• This year’s F1 drivers and their cars
• Footballer Kevin Keegan’s new single, “Head Over Heels”
• The Sparks make a comeback
• Rollerskating: What you need
The cover of Bravo of 15 May 1975. That week 43 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Sweet’s gig in Braunschweig cut short by bomb alert
• Germany’s 12 top rock acts
• Suzi Quatro and Alice Cooper on the 60-date US tour
• Labelle in concert
• Gloria Gaynor, “Queen of the Discotheques”
• Schlager duo Cindy & Bert
• Richard Thomas (John-Boy in The Waltons) on honeymoon
• The films of Steve McQueen
• Greek singer Vicky Leandros in pictures
• Football star Franz Beckenbauer signs autographs for Bravo readers
• How Brian Jones died
• The many faces of Peter “Colombo” Falk
Actor Charlton Heston on the cover of Bravo of 14 May 1960.
Roger Moore features on the cover of Bravo of 8 May 1967
German actor Raimund Harmstorf features on the cover of Bravo of 3 May 1972
German singer and actor Rex Gildo clowns around on the cover of Bravo of 1 May 1967. A poster from that issue follows tomorrow.
Status Quo feature on the cover of Bravo of 27 April 1978.The big thing this week is a survey in response to officialdom that has branded the magazine a hazard to the youth, because of its sex-ed pages. Most Germans of many generation will testify that Bravo did mighty work in providing youths with credible and sensible sex education in ways parents and schools failed (or, if teachers succeeded, they’d get removed).
This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth also read about:
• Profile of Status Quo’s members
• Baccara in bikinis on holiday in Spain
• Slade’s comeback
• The Bay City Rollers after the return of Alan Longmuir
• Shaun Cassidy in pics, with autograph card
• Youths discuss smoking
• A Red Cross volunteer at a Bay City Rollers concert
• Rod Stewart and Leif Garret at a celebrity Olympics in California
• The “fascinating story” of Carlos Santana
Marc Bolan of T. Rex on the cover of Bravo of 26 April 1972.
Robert Vaughn from The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (or, in German, Codename U.N.C.L.E) on the cover of Bravo of 22 April 1968.
Michael Landon, Little Joe on Bonanza, on the cover of Bravo of 21 April 1969. Again, 11 readers’ poll winners say “thank you” on a flexi disc in that issue.