James Dean features on the cover of Bravo of 24 July 1980. That week 37 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Cheryl Ladd, “the most beautiful of Charlie’s Angels”
• Andy Gibb and Olivia Newton-John: the “new dream duo”
• The non-romantic life of actor Dirk Benedict
• Can Spanish teen idol Pedro Marin break through in Germany? (No)
• James Dean and his movie Giants.
• Roller-skating tricks
• Introducing ska band The Specials
James Dean, a great Bravo favourite, on a superposter in Bravo of 5 March 1981. The poster marked what would have been the actor’s 50th birthday. Today (8 March 2016) he’d have turned 86!
James Dean features on the cover of the Bravo of 4 February 1982. That week 35 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Adam Ant’s, Saga’s and Barclay James Harvest’s live shows
• How Shakin’ Stevens is now the new King
• The life-story of Olivia Newton-John
• The death of James Dean
• Why Kiss cancelling concerts
• The winners of Bravo’s annual readers’ poll in the sports category
James Dean again, here on a centre-spread poster in Bravo of 17 September 1981.
Bravo cover of 22 June 1978. The issue ran the results of the magazine’s survey that asked readers: “Is Bravo a danger to youths?” Guess how the readers responded.
James Dean and Sal Mineo on a super-size poster in Bravo of 14 May 1981. The photo was taken on the set of Rebels Without A Cause. All three principal stars of the film died unnatural deaths.
James Dean: Centrespread poster in Bravo of 31 October 1979
You will recognise the poster as that of the 19855 film Rebel Without A Cause, which in German was rendered as …denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun (“Because they don’t know what they are doing” — that’s the title, not my comment on the German translators of movie titles)