Rick Parfitt of Status Quo in a daring state of undress on the cover of Bravo of 1 June 1978. This week 41 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• How Rick Parfitt got threats from jealous guys over his near-naked pics
• Bravo asks: Why is Saturday Night Fever so popular…
• …and visits German discotheques on Saturday nights
• Journey live in concert
• Israel’s Izhar Cohen after winning the Eurovision Song Contest
• Introducing newcomer Elvis Costello
• The career of The Bee Gees in pictures
• Eruption: “Their music is like a erupting volcano”
• The quick Germany visit by the Carpenters
• Juliane Werding at her new Munich home
• Leif Garrett on his visit to West-Germany
• Interview with Udo Lindenberg
• Sex ed: “How do I tell my patents that I masturbate?” (Seriously??)
• Keith Emerson seeks new wife and new music
Status Quo like you’ve never seen them before on an A2 superposter in Bravo of 6 October 1977.
Status Quo on a centre-spread poster in Bravo of 30 June 1977.
Status Quo on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 27 April 1978.
Status Quo feature on the cover of Bravo of 27 April 1978.The big thing this week is a survey in response to officialdom that has branded the magazine a hazard to the youth, because of its sex-ed pages. Most Germans of many generation will testify that Bravo did mighty work in providing youths with credible and sensible sex education in ways parents and schools failed (or, if teachers succeeded, they’d get removed).
This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth also read about:
• Profile of Status Quo’s members
• Baccara in bikinis on holiday in Spain
• Slade’s comeback
• The Bay City Rollers after the return of Alan Longmuir
• Shaun Cassidy in pics, with autograph card
• Youths discuss smoking
• A Red Cross volunteer at a Bay City Rollers concert
• Rod Stewart and Leif Garret at a celebrity Olympics in California
• The “fascinating story” of Carlos Santana
Status Quo on a superposter in Bravo of 6 March 1980. Did Alan Lancaster have a little accident in his trousers?
Status Quo feature on the cover of Bravo of 6 March 1980. That week 38 weeks ago Germany’s youth read about:
• Why Status Quo cancelled their Germany tour (knee op for Rick Parfitt)
• How Marianne Faithfull beat her heroin addiction
• The places where the members of The Teens live (hurrah stalkers!)
• Banal and unfunny comic character Gottlieb Wendehals in real life
• How to kiss properly
• Barclay James Harvest on their Germany tour
• This year’s spring fashion
• Germany in the grip of reggae fever
• Schlager singer Jürgen Drews privat
Status Quo, in a photo from 1970, on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 24 July 1980
“Mike” Francis Rossie of Status Quo on a back-page poster in Bravo of 8 September 1977. I put up the Dead End Kids high in a corner of our bedroom wall, having lost the Great Poster Debate; the Rossi poster was on eye-level.Rossi, who was 28 at the time, was voted Bravo readers’ 7th-most popular guitarist.Soon “Rockin’ All Over The World” would become a big hit.
Bravo liked Francis Rossi; he featured before on his own on a poster in 1976.