Blondie singer Debbie Harry features on the cover of Bravo of 20 September 1979. This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Blondie in concert (see below)
• The truth about AC/DC (well, the facts)
• Bravo visits “punk king” Johnny Rotten in London
• Why Kate Jackson is leaving Charlie’s Angels
• Peter Maffay profile: “Hungry for life”
• Bob Geldof: The Boomtown Rats’ big mouth
• The Damned: “Nobody likes us”
• The greatest film couples
• Reader Brigitte Rein in London with Smokie
• The “new” Shaun Cassidy
• Why Uriah Heep fired John Lawton over his German wife
• Profile on Hair actor Treat Williams
And here’s the Blondie story: they drove down LA in a tank, it says here…
Debbie Harry of Blondie on a centrespread poster in Bravo 11 April 1979. Blondie’s hit Heart Of Glass was still in the charts; Sunday Girl was going to be released soon.
Blondie’s Debbie Harry on a single-page poster in Bravo of 22 December 1977. Blondie were coming to Germany for the first time to promote their debut singe “X-Offender”. I was 121 when I bought it; I don’t think I’d ever been turned on more before than by Debbie’s spoken intro; even if I couldn’t quite understand what she was saying.
Here’s the report that went with the poster:
A report about Blondie — “How Debbie steals the show from her boys” — in Bravo of 5 December 1980. It reports on the new LP which shows different influences, Debbie Harry’s film Union City, how the band likes to record in LAS but must be in New York for musical growth, and Debbie’s work managing and producing The B-Girls (“an incredibly great band”, she gushes).
Three “hot rock aunties” feature on the cover of Bravo of 21 June 1979: Leslie Knauer of Promises, Debbie Harry of Blondie, and Marion Valentino of The Dolls
This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Rock’s hottest women at as glance. Besides the three on the cover, they were Stevie Nicks, Siouxie Sioux, Alice Spring of Darling, Yvonne Lory of disco group Ganymed, Pauline Murray of Penetration, and Rita Ray of Darts.
• “Brown Pearl” (really!) Amii Stewart and her hit “Knock On Wood”
• Mick Jagger in pics
• How an abused teen landed on the street
• Disco singer Patrick Hernandez at home in Paris
• Funk-rock band Mother’s Finest
• When will Starsky & Hutch return to German TV screens?
Photo feature on Blondie (well, Debbie Harry, really) with collectible autograph card in Bravo of 10 May 1979. They had just made their breakthrough to superstardom with “Heart Of Glass”. The follow-up, “Sunday Girl” would become a hit within a few weeks.
Debbie Harry features on the cover of Bravo of 10 May 1979. That week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• ABBA’s Björn and Agnetha deny rumours of affairs after their divorce
• How Leslie McKeown got beaten up by his fellow Bay City Rollers
• The life of Liz Taylor (“She was the world’s most beautiful woman”)
• Introducing French pianist Richard Clayderman
• The story of a teenage heroin addict
• Eurovision Song Contest winners Milk & Honey from Israel
• Dire Straits on their Germany tour
• Schlager singer Juliane Werding’s trip to India in text and pics
Debbie Harry of Blondie on a super-sized poster in Bravo of 23 December 1980. Blondie were having a hit at the time with “The Tide Is High”.