ABBA on an A2 superposter in Bravo of 13 December 1979. The were having a hit at the time with “I Have A Dream”.
ABBA had just finished second in the annual readers’ poll for favourite band. Here’s the Top 10:
- The Teens
- Dschingis Khan
- Status Quo
- Bee Gees
- 10 Boney M.
ABBA feature on the cover of Bravo of 13 December 1979. This week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Donna Summer: From Cinderella to Disco Queen
• ABBA’s Björn presents his new girlfriend
• Italian singer Alan Sorrenti
• Bravo remembers actor Gary Cooper
• The new Terence Hill & Bud Spencer (they’re in Africa now)
• Pop group Promises at home
• REO Speedwagon’s tour of Germany
• Footballer Karl-Heinz Rummenigge interviewed
ABBA make their cover debut in Bravo of 4 July 1974, three months after winning the Eurovision Song Contest. Read the story of that Eurovision victory.
ABBA, again and again ABBA, on a superposter in Bravo of 27 May 1981.
ABBA on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 23 May 1979.
ABBA on a four-part portrait series. Benny’s poster appeared in Bravo of 2 April 1981.
ABBA feature on the cover of Bravo of 2 April 1981. This week 37 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• ABBA’s Benny recalls how it all began
• Midge Ure’s Ultravox have a hit (it means nothing to me!)
• Brian Johnson: How everything’s going with AC/DC
• Status Quo: Will this be their last tour? (no)
• A visit to Cliff Richard in Sheffield
• How Tatum O’Neal is making a fool of Leif Garrett
• The best thriller currently on screen: Dressed To Kill
• The stars of the wild Rock & Roll years
• Eurovision Song Contest line-up (#14, the UK’s Bucks Fizz, win)
• The Bay City Rollers’ attempted comeback
• Kristy McNichol’s pet monkey
• Maywood: the “disco sisters”
• Latest 50cc motorbikes reviewed
ABBA on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 25 March 1982. They don’t really look that keen on being ABBA anymore. Soon they’ll just stop being ABBA.
ABBA in total 1980s look on a centre-spread poster in Bravo of 7 January 1982. They had finished third in the annual readers’ poll for favourite band of 1981.
The top 10:
- Adam and the Ants
- The Teens
German rock singer Peter Maffay features on the cover of Bravo of 4 October 1979. This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• First photos of ABBA’s German tour (see below)
• All about John Travolta
• Introducing Nils Lofgren
• What you need to know about Clout
• Boston coming to tour in West-Germany
• Profile on South African F1 world champion Jody Scheckter
• Teenage band The Teens evicted from their practice room
• Status Quo’s Rick Parfitt private, in pics
• Profile on British group Racey
• The life of Marlon Brando