The last three parts of the life-size ABBA Starschnitt in Bravo of 12 January 1978: Agnetha’s face, a bit of her hair, and the top of Benny’s head
Agnetha Fältskrog of ABBA, still known as Anna because Anyeta was too difficult to say, on a single-page poster in Bravo of 30 December 1976.
The members of ABBA featured in a series of four superposters in issues of the Swiss-German pop magazine between October and November 1979.
ABBA on the cover of Germany’s pop magazine of 26 July 1979. Along with Rocky magazine, pop was Bravo’s big rival. With an insert of Germany’s edition of Melody Maker (with the UK original which the content had little in common), pop had more news and album reviews than Bravo, and covered a broader spread of acts it would cover. Rocky and pop merged in 1980, but didn’t last long beyond that.
ABBA’s Agnetha features in a rather unflattering photo on the cover of Bravo of 28 June 1979. This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• ABBA’s Agnetha and Björn and their new partners (see below)
• John Tavolta is filming a new movie, Urban Cowboy
• Steven Tyler: The wild one of Aerosmith
• Who’s behind “Pop Muzik” band M?
• Bravo recalls Woodstock (why two months before the 10th anniversary?)
• Sex ed: Love (well, sex) during the holidays
• The Teens answer readers’ questions
• How German teens dress up for The Rocky Horror Picture Show
• The private life of Swiss singer Paola in pictures
• The Rubettes make a comeback
ABBA on an A2 superposter in Bravo of 13 December 1979. The were having a hit at the time with “I Have A Dream”.
ABBA had just finished second in the annual readers’ poll for favourite band. Here’s the Top 10:
ABBA feature on the cover of Bravo of 13 December 1979. This week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Donna Summer: From Cinderella to Disco Queen
• ABBA’s Björn presents his new girlfriend
• Italian singer Alan Sorrenti
• Bravo remembers actor Gary Cooper
• The new Terence Hill & Bud Spencer (they’re in Africa now)
• Pop group Promises at home
• REO Speedwagon’s tour of Germany
• Footballer Karl-Heinz Rummenigge interviewed
ABBA make their cover debut in Bravo of 4 July 1974, three months after winning the Eurovision Song Contest. Read the story of that Eurovision victory.
ABBA, again and again ABBA, on a superposter in Bravo of 27 May 1981.
ABBA on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 23 May 1979.