ABBA on the cover of Germany’s pop magazine of 26 July 1979. Along with Rocky magazine, pop was Bravo’s big rival. With an insert of Germany’s edition of Melody Maker (with the UK original which the content had little in common), pop had more news and album reviews than Bravo, and covered a broader spread of acts it would cover. Rocky and pop merged in 1980, but didn’t last long beyond that.
ABBA’s Agnetha features in a rather unflattering photo on the cover of Bravo of 28 June 1979. This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• ABBA’s Agnetha and Björn and their new partners (see below)
• John Tavolta is filming a new movie, Urban Cowboy
• Steven Tyler: The wild one of Aerosmith
• Who’s behind “Pop Muzik” band M?
• Bravo recalls Woodstock (why two months before the 10th anniversary?)
• Sex ed: Love (well, sex) during the holidays
• The Teens answer readers’ questions
• How German teens dress up for The Rocky Horror Picture Show
• The private life of Swiss singer Paola in pictures
• The Rubettes make a comeback
ABBA on an A2 superposter in Bravo of 13 December 1979. The were having a hit at the time with “I Have A Dream”.
ABBA had just finished second in the annual readers’ poll for favourite band. Here’s the Top 10:
- The Teens
- Dschingis Khan
- Status Quo
- Bee Gees
- 10 Boney M.
ABBA feature on the cover of Bravo of 13 December 1979. This week 39 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Donna Summer: From Cinderella to Disco Queen
• ABBA’s Björn presents his new girlfriend
• Italian singer Alan Sorrenti
• Bravo remembers actor Gary Cooper
• The new Terence Hill & Bud Spencer (they’re in Africa now)
• Pop group Promises at home
• REO Speedwagon’s tour of Germany
• Footballer Karl-Heinz Rummenigge interviewed
ABBA make their cover debut in Bravo of 4 July 1974, three months after winning the Eurovision Song Contest. Read the story of that Eurovision victory.
ABBA, again and again ABBA, on a superposter in Bravo of 27 May 1981.
ABBA on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 23 May 1979.
ABBA on a four-part portrait series. Benny’s poster appeared in Bravo of 2 April 1981.
ABBA feature on the cover of Bravo of 2 April 1981. This week 37 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• ABBA’s Benny recalls how it all began
• Midge Ure’s Ultravox have a hit (it means nothing to me!)
• Brian Johnson: How everything’s going with AC/DC
• Status Quo: Will this be their last tour? (no)
• A visit to Cliff Richard in Sheffield
• How Tatum O’Neal is making a fool of Leif Garrett
• The best thriller currently on screen: Dressed To Kill
• The stars of the wild Rock & Roll years
• Eurovision Song Contest line-up (#14, the UK’s Bucks Fizz, win)
• The Bay City Rollers’ attempted comeback
• Kristy McNichol’s pet monkey
• Maywood: the “disco sisters”
• Latest 50cc motorbikes reviewed
ABBA on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 25 March 1982. They don’t really look that keen on being ABBA anymore. Soon they’ll just stop being ABBA.