The year-end charts for 1979 of Bravo readers’ most popular hits, based on the weekly charts, in Bravo of 2 January 1980. From the international charts, I had five of them on single, and two on LP (Grease and ABBA’s Voulez-Vous). Of the 20 international hits, only one I don’t know (#19). Of the German hits, I owned none, and can recall the tune of six.
Check out A Life In Vinyl 1979.
German TV actor Sascha Hehn on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 2 January 1980.
The German poster for 1939 racist melodrama Gone With The Wind on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 2 January 1980.
German singer Ingrid Peters on the back-page poster of Bravo of 2 January 1980.
Freddie Mercury, yet without ‘tache, on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 2 January 1980.
German TV actor Sascha Hehn on the cover of Bravo of 2 January 1980. This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Why fans go mad for AC/DC
• Bravo visits Debbie Harry on the set of her film Roadie
• Robert Redford in country music gear for his new movie
• Paul McCartney’s secret hideaway
• Three Curries in Musikladen show: Tim and sisters Cherie & Marie (see below)
• Your horoscope for 1980 (for my star sign, nothing came true)
• Introducing The Buggles
• Profile on Teens drummer Michael Uhlich
• The career of Liz Taylor in photos
• Teen actor Tommy Ohrner in pictures
• Sex-ed: Is sex sinful?
In its issue of 2 October 1980 Bravo reproduced the cinema programme for the 1956 version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame — or, in German, Der Glöckner of Notre Dame. (Glöckner means bellringer) — starring Anthony Quinn and Gina Lollobrigida.
A drawing of James Dean on a superposter in Bravo of 2 October 1980 to mark the 25th anniversary of his death.
US singer Helen Schneider on the back-page poster of Bravo of 2 October 1980. A singer in the Pat Benatar-vein, she wasn’t as great as she looked, alas. Schneider featured here before.
British heavy metal band Judas Priest on a centre-spread poster in Bravo of 2 October 1980.