John Travolta on a centre spread in Bravo of 1 February 1979. He was voted favourite actor of 1978 by Bravo readers in the annual poll — hardly surprising, after the success of Grease and Saturday Night Fever that year.
I’ll give the other vote-getters over the next two posts.
The cover of Bravo of 1 February 1979. That week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• The winners of the actors’ category in the annual readers’ poll
• How the marriage of ABBA’s Agnetha and Björn broke up
• Status Quo, with an autographed card (printed signatures, of course)
• All about the members of the Village People
• Udo Lindenberg’s extravagant live show
• In the sex-ed pages: How girls explore their bodies
John Travolta features on the cover of Bravo of 14 December 1978.
This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about John Travolta’s new film titled Moment By Moment with Lily Tomlin, concerts by Queen and Olivia Newton-John, the best disco groups of 1978, how Kristy McNichols’ dreams came true, and the year’s best discovery despite being neither disco nor new wave nor rock: Dire Straits.
In the Bravo Bazaar, where stars made gifts to lucky readers, highlights included Olivia Newton-John’s satin outfit and John Travolta’s leather jacket from the closing scene of Grease (I’d like some of that action!), a Fender Stratocaster guitar signed by Status Quo, stage outfits from The Runaways’ Joan Jett and Sandy West, jackets from the Bay City Rollers, and an acoustic guitar signed by the members of Smokie…