Italian actor Terence Hill features on the cover of Bravo of 20 July 1978. That week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Interview with Andy Gibb
• All you need to know about Terence Hill
• 45,000 people at a California rock concert
• The Bay City Rollers’ US TV show
• The Police’s great laser show
• Sex ed: When girls love girls
• Michael Douglas in his new film, Coma.
• The Stranglers: Are they always so ugly?
• Luisa Fernandez: From hairdresser to disco star
• Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow in the US
German singer and actress Conny Froboess features on the cover of Bravo of 18 July 1959.
Schlager singer Roy Black on the cover of Bravo of 17 July 1967. You can enter the competition for these new-fangled colour TVs! The back-page poster from that issue follows tomorrow.
Elvis Presley, with an excess of make-up, on the cover of Bravo of 15 July 1982. That week 36 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• A visit to the Elvis museum at Graceland
• Interview with Falco
• Alan Parsons: The mysterious magician
• Robert Plant begins his solo career
• The story of a drug smuggler in jail
• Peter Maffay in pics, with autograph card
• Profile on the bassist from the Spifer Murphy Gang
Louis Armstrong features on the cover of Bravo of 8 July 1961. Bravo reports that Satchmo was one of several jazz icons at this year’s Newport Jazz Festival. Others in the line-up include Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck and Count Basie.
Mike Landon, a.k.a. Little Joe from Bonanza, on the cover of Bravo of 1 July 1966
Actress Diana Rigg of the British TV series The Avengers features on the cover of Bravo of 1 July 1968.
R.I.P. Alan Longmuir, co-founder and bassist of the Bay City Rollers. Seen here on the cover of Bravo of 8 April 1976.
Here’s my revisionist defence of the Bay City Rollers.
German comedienne Ingrid Steeger on the cover of Bravo of 30 June 1977. This week 41 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• The difficult life of up-and-coming actor John Travolta
• Bravo with the The Bay City Rollers on their US tour
• Are Schlager singers singing the wrong songs?
• Boston: Five iron rock musicians
• Bravo readers trip to LA to hand Mike Douglas his Golden Otto poll trophy
• Flashback: How The Beatles conquered the world
• The German football team that could become world champions in 1978 (they won’t)
• Report on the open air Winnetou play at Elspe
THE BEATLES ARE HERE! Paul McCartney features on the cover of Bravo of of 27 June 1966, which announces the start of the Fab Four’s three concert tour of West-Germany, their ony tour to the country, in Hamburg, Essen and Munich.