Three “hot rock aunties” feature on the cover of Bravo of 21 June 1979: Leslie Knauer of Promises, Debbie Harry of Blondie, and Marion Valentino of The Dolls
This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Rock’s hottest women at as glance. Besides the three on the cover, they were Stevie Nicks, Siouxie Sioux, Alice Spring of Darling, Yvonne Lory of disco group Ganymed, Pauline Murray of Penetration, and Rita Ray of Darts.
• “Brown Pearl” (really!) Amii Stewart and her hit “Knock On Wood”
• Mick Jagger in pics
• How an abused teen landed on the street
• Disco singer Patrick Hernandez at home in Paris
• Funk-rock band Mother’s Finest
• When will Starsky & Hutch return to German TV screens?
Singer and actor Rex Gildo features, not for the only time, on the cover of Bravo of 23 June 1969.
Future Schlager star Ingrid Peters on a motorcycle on the cover of Bravo of 16 June 1976. That week 41 years ago Germany’s youth read about:
• The false rumours of ABBA’s lethal plane crash
• Jethro Tull and Smokie on their Germany tours
• How Status Quo got into a fist-fight with Austrian airport security
• Profile of teenage actress Jodie Foster
• Bay City Rollers strike back at Sweet’s critique of them
• Actor Barry Newman (Petrocelli) at home
• A meeting with Yes keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman
• How disco-trio Silver Convention improved their stage show
• Ron Wood: How he rocks and loves
The Beatles feature on the cover of Bravo of 16 June 1977. This week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Neil Diamond’s triumphant tour, Slade’s Germany gigs, Peter Maffay in concert
• The Dead End Kids (“they look liker punks!” No, they damn well don’t)
• All about the beautiful Swedish singer Siw Inger
• An interview with Nastassja Kinski
• A new series on The Beatles story
• How “Lost In France” made an overnight star of Bonnie Tyler
• What will be the name of ex-Bay City Roller Ian Mitchell’s new group?
Tom Jones features on a cover in Bravo of 17 June 1968.
Kim Wilde features on the cover of Bravo of 11 June 1981. That week 36 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• An AC/DC film, still featuring Bon Scott
• Nastassja Kinski’s new short-hair look
• How Adam Ant injured himself twice during the filming of the video for “Stand And Deliver”
• “Stop The Cavalry” singer Jona Lewis at home
• The secrets of Kim Wilde
• Bucks Fizz’s Mike can afford to buy a car at last
• A new book about GI Elvis’ time in West-Germany
• Rose Tattoo (“harder than AC/DC) and Ted Nugent in concert
• The story of the Bay City Rollers
Jacqueline Bisset features on the cover of Bravo of 12 June 1974.
German Schlager singer Chris Roberts on the cover of Bravo of 31 May 1972.
German teen star Peter Kraus — Germany’s Elvis (though rather feckless like Cliff Richard) — on the cover of Bravo of 6 June 1959. That week Bravo also asked if Marlon Brando is an asshole. Yup.
Marilyn Monroe features on the cover of Bravo of 29 May 1980. Bravo was nothing if not retro. This week 37 years ago Germany’s youth read about:
• Bob Marley at home
• A guide to pop London.
• New band Dexys Midnight Runners
• Farrah Fawcett in sci-fi film Saturn 3
• Readers discuss: May German girls go out with foreigners (they may)
• Suzi Quatro’s German tour in half-full halls
• What is prostitution?
• The story of Fleetwood Mac