The cover of Bravo of 20 October 1977. That week 40 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Shock news: The Bay City Rollers are emigrating to the USA
• After David and Shaun, third Cassidy brother Patrick is waiting to make his career
• “Stranglers: The punks with an organ”
• The future plans of Bud Spencer and Terence Hill
• Sweet postpone their German tour
• How young woman in wheelchair hitch-hiked to Portugal, England, Morocco, Egypt
• John Paul Young: the singer from whom the Bay City Rollers “stole” a hit (“Yesterday’s Hero”)
Actress Ingrid Bergman on the cover of Bravo of 19 October 1957. Here’s looking at you, kid.
Flashdance star Jennifer Beals features on the cover of Bravo of 14 October 1983. As does early ’80s regular Nena and Michael Jackson.
German actor Horst Janson on the cover of Bravo of 8 October 1961. He’d become a major TV star in the late 1960s in the series Salto Mortale, 1973’s Der Bastian and in the early 1980s as a presenter on Sesamstraße, Germany’s Sesame Street.
Actor Yul Brynner on the cover of Bravo of 12 October 1957. Brynner was a regular fixture on Bravo covers. And he had no concerns about his hair stinking from the smoking.
The Beatles on a wrap-around cover of Bravo of 11 October 1965
Paul McCartney features on the cover of Bravo of 10 October 1970
German rock singer Peter Maffay features on the cover of Bravo of 4 October 1979. This week 38 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• First photos of ABBA’s German tour (see below)
• All about John Travolta
• Introducing Nils Lofgren
• What you need to know about Clout
• Boston coming to tour in West-Germany
• Profile on South African F1 world champion Jody Scheckter
• Teenage band The Teens evicted from their practice room
• Status Quo’s Rick Parfitt private, in pics
• Profile on British group Racey
• The life of Marlon Brando
Neil Diamond features on the cover of Bravo of 4 October 1972
German singer and actress Cornelia “Conny” Froboess features on the cover of Bravo of 1 October 1957. She was a regular cover star in the 1950s and early ’60s.