Austrian Formula 1 racing champion Niki Lauda on a centrespread poster in Bravo of 31 July 1975. Almost exactly a year later Lauda would be badly burned in a crash during a race at Germany’s Nürburgring. Before the race, Lauda had tried to persuade his fellow drivers to boycott the race for safety reasons. He was voted down…
Bravo Girl of the Year 1975 Christiane Gött features on the cover of Bravo of 31 July 1975. That week 42 years ago, Germany’s youth read about:
• Sweet answer readers’ letters on a visit to the Bravo offices
• TV bosses want to cancel the Pop 75 music show
• Bay City Rollers drummer Derek Longmuir profiled
• David Cassidy and his pets (three dogs and a cat)
• Simon Williams, “The rebel of Eaton Place”, of British TV series Upstairs Downstairs
And here’s the kicker: on one spread, the left-hand page is a feature on the film Towering Inferno; on the right is an article on Austrian F1 racing champion Niki Lauda — who almost exactly a year later would be badly burnt in a crash at Germany’s Nürburgring. On one of the photos Lauda is seen with flame-retardant protective underwear (it makes him sweat).